Saturday, November 22, 2008

Catching up

Wow, it's been almost a week since my last post and I have no idea where the time went. The boys had a much better week than the week before, everyone was healthy and feeling good. Today we did a lot of running around and the boys enjoyed getting out of the house. We headed to the mall and started off with some muffins and egg souffles from Panera. The boys had already been fed a huge bowl of oatmeal before we left the house, but they still devoured half of our breakfast.

Santa was already set up and taking customers at the mall so we thought why not? There wasn't much of a wait and the boys seemed interested. When it was their turn we took them over to see Santa. Jake was compliant, he seemed neither scared nor impressed by Santa and willingly sat on his lap. Anderson wasn't having it. He didn't want to sit on Santa's lap but he did sit on my lap next to Santa. As soon as the picture was taken, Jake was off to touch the ornaments and other props. Anderson and I stuck around while Santa asked him what he wanted. Anderson rolled his eyes at Santa and completely ignored him. It was very naughty of him.

After our time at the mall we brought the boys home for a nap. I headed to the salon for some grooming and gossip. When the boys woke we went back out to Whole Foods to pick up some groceries and the boy's Artic Cod Liver Oil. The boys love their fish oil and I'm so happy because it is SOOO beneficial to their growth and development. It smells, looks and tastes pretty gross but they don't seem to mind so I'm taking advantage for as long as I can. We also strolled around Parisian and the boys sat in the double shopping cart. Jake sat up high and Anderson below him. Several times Jake rubbed the top on Anderson's head and leaned down and kissed him. It was so sweet and Anderson just had a huge smile on his face.

I had my second phase of braces put on this past Thursday. It was pure hell. My teeth were so sensitive and sore already and they were made even worse when they removed my spacers in order to put on these freakish metal rings that encase all of my molars. I couldn't hold back the tears, they were just streaming down my face as the orthodontist used any force necessary to fit these dang things on. The spacers were supposed to have created the "space" necessary between my teeth to fit the brackets on, but they weren't on long enough and I suffered dearly because of it. Let the record show that I feel I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.

I've been pretty emotional about it... wondering why I'm torturing myself like this, wondering if it will all be worth it, thinking of a bazillion other things I could have done with the money. Having braces as an adult is a much different experience than the first two times I had them. No authority figure telling you that you must wear them, no peers to share war stories with, and lots of pain. I feel like a huge whiney baby and I fear that since I'm having such a hard time with this how will I ever survive the jaw surgery. I'll be on a liquid diet for 8 weeks following the surgery and part of that time I will only be able to drink from a syringe. And the pain.....I don't even allow myself to go there yet.

No comments: