Friday, February 13, 2009

Relief like no other


It has been a stressful and worrisome week around here. Last weekend I noticed that in a couple of pictures we took Jake had a strange white spot in his eye. I quickly remembered a story I had seen on a news show about white spots that show on a toddlers eyes in photographs could mean a presence of an eye tumor. My heart stopped and I began to feverishly search the internet and other photos we have taken over the past few weeks.


My findings were not what I was hoping for. Jake's eye looked exactly like the example pictures of toddlers that had a retinoblastoma. On Monday morning Kevin called the
pediatric opthamologist and they told us to bring him Thursday morning (yesterday) for a complete examination. Again, not what I was hoping for. I was really hoping when Kevin called that they would laugh at us and tell us we were just being "crazy, overprotective parents".


So I spent the week in and out of panic, trying to think positively, and trying not to throw up. I couldn't even allow myself to "go there". I can't even begin to imagine "there". Yesterday we took him to the opthamologist and after an hour long appointment including the dilation of both his eyes we were told he was fine. There was no retinoblastoma present and in fact his eyes look very healthy. At the end of the appointment the dr. said it was the right decision to bring him in, which made me feel a lot better.
Kevin and I both left with a giddiness, so happy and relieved that Jake and our family were safe from "there". I included a pic of what I was referring in case no one has ever heard of the suspicious white spots on photographs and what to look for.

1 comment:

Brent and Heather Harbin said...

When I first saw that picture (before I even read your post) my heart almost stopped because I knew about that eye tumor thing. Then I frantically started looking at other pictures of Jake in older posts to see if it was noticeable in any other ones. I was about to email you right before I read your post and thank goodness I did!!!!

I felt your frantic pain momma! I'm so glad that he's fine! WOW! I wish I would have read that post right away... my heart is still going a million miles a second!