Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Sad but true

Would it even be believable if I said I had to have my braces put back on? Because I feel like I'm lying when I say it, but unfortunately it's true. I.cannot.believe.this. is.happening.
Insert bat sh!t crazy screaming Tammy here @#%#%#%#$^$^$^*%^#%$@%W@%$# !!!!!!!

I've been telling my ortho just weeks after the surgery that my bite was off. Only four of my teeth come together. The rest of my mouth is an open bite, as in the bottom and top teeth do not touch. At all. Obviously this isn't comfortable nor compatible with chewing food. At first they told me the rubber bands would correct it. It didn't. Then they told me when they took the braces off my upper teeth would settle into my bottom teeth. They didn't. Finally they told me worst case scenario they could file some of my teeth down to make the bite better.

Yesterday I went to have my teeth cleaned for the first time since the surgery. My dentist immediately identified all the problem areas in my mouth and confirmed everything I've been saying. Aesthetically my teeth look great, it's a huge improvement. Functionally I am worse off than I was before surgery. My dentist explained to me that the only way I could get a reasonable bite back was to 1) go back in braces or 2) get my entire mouth crowned for 15,000 dollars. Yes, that is 15,000 dollars.

My dentist told me exactly how I should approach my orthodontist about the problem and it just so happened I had an appointment scheduled for this morning. I told my ortho I wanted to speak to him privately in his office. Orthodontic offices generally don't offer any privacy, it is one big open area with lots of chairs for patients. I certainly didn't want to embarrass him in front of other patients when I told him about the heap of sh!t he has gotten me into.

I calmly explained to him that I wasn't happy with the final product and my dentist was concerned about xy and z. I did my best not to cry, and I didn't. He did. He actually welled up a bit and said that my dentist was absolutely right. He doesn't understand how this has happened and he was profusely sorry. He said he will retreat me at no charge and give me ceramic(clear) braces at no charge. As livid as I am that I have to go back into braces for the FOURTH time in my life, I actually felt bad for the guy. He took full responsibility and didn't pass the buck onto anyone. I was impressed.

I'm going to take a three month break from all of this because really I just can't handle more pain in my mouth at this point. It's been non stop for the past 19 months and I really need some time to psyche myself up for this.

No comments: