Monday, July 19, 2010

Huge Sigh













The stress of the house is really starting to weigh me down. We've had problems with the brick, the stone exterior, the paint, the lack of follow through on their part and now the staircase. Every week brings a new battle to fight and I'm just feeling defeated. Maybe my expectations were too high, maybe I'm looking for a perfection that just doesn't exist. I've been too mentally exhausted to even chronicle the problems here. The latest is the staircase.
The staircase is made from poplar, our wood floors will be oak. Two very different species of wood that stain very differently. I spent an hour today with the painter trying to match the floor color we will have, but no matter what we did, the poplar stained extremely unevenly and VERY dark. I like dark, the floors will be dark, but the stain on the staircase looks burnt to me. Like it caught on fire and tada, the charred remains are now our staircase. The staircase is like the showcase of the house and I feel like it is the biggest disapointment yet.
I do have a tendency to overreact and only time will tell if I am in this instance but right now I'm in a really crappy place over this staircase. On the bright side, I'm loving our kitchen and I think the tile came out really well as well.

No comments: