Thursday, April 08, 2010

Thankful Thursday

I've been feeling a really strong sense of gratitude lately. Not to say that I take things for granted otherwise, cause I don't. At least I try not to, but for some reason lately, gratitude has been at the forefront.

**Disclaimer** I'm going to count my blessings, but please don't think my life is perfect. I'm not claiming perfection, rather just taking the time to be thankful for the wonderful things in my life.

I have so much to be grateful for. Countless things. Most importantly two beautiful, healthy, and inquisitive boys. They are perfect in every way and if they were the only thing in my life I'd still be full to to the brim. They aren't the only thing in my life however, I have this ever so patient and loving husband who adores me. Not to be boastful, but he really does adore and love me. He tells me so all the time. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not the easiest person to live with, but for some reason I was lucky enough to catch him.

We both have jobs. Really, really good jobs. If there were ever such thing as a dream job, I have it. I work three and half hours a day while my little ones sleep and get paid a reasonable amount of money to do it. My summers are mine to share with my family. Kevin's job is flexible and he is home by 4:30 everyday. He rarely has to travel, the government gives him great pay, vacation and benefits. Best of all he gets every other Friday off from work! Because of our great jobs, our lives are calm and relatively stress free. We have tons of family time, time to get the housework done, and time to do whatever needs doing.

We were able to sell our house in one of the absolute worst housing markets and economy in the country and subsequently were able to move into a spacious condo as our "temporary housing". We lucked out big time with this. My grandma's condo has a full basement, is 1500 sq.ft., and has a two car garage. We are able to store all of our junk here and have plenty of space for our living. A third bedroom would be great so the boys could have separate rooms, but that is just greedy. We are absolutely blessed to have had the circumstances work out the way that they did.

Our new house is going to be an absolute dream come true. It's in a really great location, the neighborhood is full of beautiful and well cared for homes, and we are able to customize our home to our liking. Right down to the pot filler over the stove that I'm so giddy about. The boys will go to great schools, I know because I taught for a couple of years at their elementary school :). They will live just a block and half away from their cousins. We can walk or ride our bikes to Stony Creek Metro park, Big Apple Bagel, Kroger, downtown Rochester and an ice cream shop to name a few. I've never lived anywhere where I could actually do this without crossing a major 5 lane road.

Kevin and I have great parents. We realize just how lucky we are that when I work, his mom and my parents are the ones that care for the boys. The boys are surrounded by loving care at all times. I don't have to worry about them when I am at work, I know that they are having a great time doing arts and crafts with Grandma or riding their bikes with their Papa while Nanny makes them their lunch. I've never had to leave the boys in an unfamiliar place with people that don't love them as much as we do, for that I am overflowing with gratitude.

I could probably keep going, but this post is already bordering obnoxious. I just wanted to take the time to make my gratitude tangible in some way.

1 comment:

Brent and Heather Harbin said...

Kevin needs to get Brent a job. He's a computer techie dude too, is he not?!?! I'm actually kinda not kidding.

You described our old life. Before the outsourcing BS. I'm miserable. I wish I had what you guys had again. I get choked up thinking about it. It's changed our entire dynamic to the core and not for the better.

That's why I feel the need to float the hell away on damn boats all the time.