Wednesday, December 16, 2009


It's official. I'm now the proud owner of a chin and my bottom teeth are visible and line up nicely with my top. I'm pretty numb right now, can't feel my lower lip, chin or lower teeth. Feeling came back in my tongue pretty quickly. My muscles feel like they are spasming which is quite uncomfortable, like a charlie horse in your jaw. Lots of pressure and swelling, but not quite as bad as I anticipated.

My surgery was scheduled for one o'clock. The case in front of me was running late so I didn't go in till about two. I was given a med to relax before they wheeled me into the OR and I have no recollection about what happened after that. I was knocked out before I even left pre-op. When I woke up I was wrapped tightly around my entire head. I had ice packs, a splint in my mouth and was rubber banded shut. It was quite miserable. I was given a morphine button to control my pain and was wheeled back to my room around 6.

My surgeon said everything went better than expected. Surgery was anticipated to be around 3-3.5 hours but only took 2. My dr. said my bone was nice and dense making the procedure easier. My mother spent the night with me and what a godsend she was. I couldn't speak at ALL. I had to write everything down on paper and I had a very hard coming out of the anesthesia. I was groggy till about 11 p.m. when I finally started to come out of it. Unfortunately this is always the case for me.

Had it not been for my mom I would've had a very hard time surviving the night. She was at my bedside all night, holding my hand, suctioning my mouth, adjusting my mask, calling for the nurse to change my ice and taking me to the bathroom. Her presence made what could have been a very dicey situation much more tolerable. There is nothing like having your mother take care of you when you are sick. I will be forever grateful for her selflessness last night.

My dr. came into to see me around 7 this morning. He unwrapped me and cut my rubber bands so he could remove my splint. This was a huge relief in pressure and I was pleasantly surprised that I could actually open my mouth a bit. I began to drink water and juice through a syringe which helped with my severely dry mouth.

I was released this afternoon and am now resting at home. I have more flexible rubber bands keeping me closed and no splint. So far I have managed to drink some pureed Panera broccoli cheese soup through a syringe and a cup of ovaltine. I can drink from a cup, but it is just a bit too uncomfortable at this point. All of my incisions are on the inside of my mouth and the cup puts just a bit too much pressure on my incisions.

A big thanks to Grandma Merris and Auntie Sara as well for holding down the fort and keeping the boys entertained. We appreciate all your help with this and with the move. The two of you and Grandpa Denny went above and beyond to help us get the job done!


Mary said...

Exactly how Philip and I spent our first night after his surgery...and pureed Panera soup was one of his favorite meals...Glad to hear all went well. I've been thinking about you and praying for you!!


Brent and Heather Harbin said...

Wow Tammy! That's gross. Get Well Soon girl! Looking forward to seeing before and after pics. Panera broccoli cheese is the bomb. I'm addicted. We are keeping you in our thoughts!