Monday, July 13, 2009

First time for everything...

including one's first ceremonious call to Poison control. We had a very close call today and Kevin and I are still unsettled and rattled.

Kevin was putting the boys shoes on this morning as I was doing what I normally do before we leave the house....packing the diaper bag. As Kevin was putting Anderson's shoes on, little Jakey got a hold of Kevin's pill box. The M, T, W, TH, F type. The non-child proof type. Kevin takes several medications daily for his heart and cholesterol. There was a pill missing. There was a PILL MISSING, his heart med.

The rest of the pills were laying on Jake's legs as he was sitting on the couch examining the pills. We immediately swept his mouth, nothing. We pulled the cushions off the couch and searched the couch, nothing. He became scared by our reaction and began crying uncontrollably. Try asking a 2.5 year old if he ate a pill. We immediately called Poison control, why I'm not really sure. Obviously we were going to have to take him to the hospital, I guess we just needed to know if 911 was in order or if we had the time to drive him.

As we starting grabbing our things to rush him to the hospital, the pill appeared. Kevin spotted the tiny white pill on our off white carpet. Jake had thrown it across the room. Relief swept over us but I still couldn't shake the what if feeling. What if Kevin was mistaken about how many pills were actually in there. What if they would have had to pump his stomach. What if he started seizing in the car. What if I lost my reason for breathing, my sunshine, my everything.

Kevin and I held them both so tightly afterwards. Amazingly on some level they understood, they wanted to be held as much as we longed to hold them so close to our hearts.

1 comment:

Brent and Heather Harbin said...

I have a good mommy tip since we're already friends with the poison control people: Toddlers don't swallow pills; they chew them and most pills taste like crap so it's easier to tell than you would think if he ate one.

Cool, huh? I hate that I know that! :)

(And of course, you still have to play by the better safe than sorry rule.)