Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Classic Red, Green and Silver Christmas Mantel



The Lettered Cottage is hosting a holiday home linky party featuring Christmas mantels. I've been pretty excited to decorate for Christmas since this is our first Christmas in our new home. After peeking into hundreds of homes to see how other's have decorated their mantel, I became inspired to recreate ours and join the party.

I had a lot of kitchey going on previously, I think it's because of having the boys. Some of my most fondest memories of Christmas are of the kitchey Christmas decorations my Grandmother used to put out. The nutcracker that wound up and played music, the Santa that held a lantern that lit up, and her Santa mugs just to name a few. I want the boys to have those same kind of memories, when I buy Christmas decorations I always have that in the back of my mind. So I shopped the house as well as Michaels and the dollar store and came up with a more timeless and classic Christmas Mantel. We'll keep the kitchey in the kitchen.



Our fireplace is two stories high, so I really needed to get some height on the mantel. I repurposed a mirror that has been out of commission for some time because it had the height that our mantel needed. I bought the wreath at Michaels. I liked that it looked a little more rustic than the traditional Christmas wreath because our stone fireplace has more of a rustic feel to it. I had some leftover burlap from a previous project that I used to dress the mantel. It's difficult to see in the photos but there is burlap on either side of the mirror.

The candle sticks are from Pottery Barn and I embellished them with silver snowflake ornaments that I picked up from the Dollar Store. The glass vase on the mantel is also from the Dollar Store and it is filled with Dollar Store ornaments. The faux Christmas holly is from Michaels. I used a piece of burlap around the vase as well to tie it all together.



Our stockings are from Pier One. I purchased them years before we had the boys because I loved the that they were made of velvet, were patchworked and the details on them are really pretty. It's difficult to see the golden thread that embellishes them in pictures, sorry about that! Thanks for stopping by!

The Lettered Cottage

1 comment:

Frugal Jen said...

What a beautiful fireplace you have! Also some very very cute twins.