Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Changes

Time for an update on the bubbies. Just a couple short weeks until Christmas is here and we are enjoying the anticipation with the boys. The boys have really been focused on what toys they are going to get from Santa and their family, which I know is completely normal for three. Kevin and I wanted to get them thinking about the giving part as well so we had them create lists of family members that they were going to buy gifts for and tonight we took them shopping at the dollar store.

The gifts they picked out were actually thoughtful, a bit ridiculous and a whole lot of sweet. They enjoyed choosing gifts for their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and each other. They were a bit disappointed about not being able to get the gifts they bought for each other tonight. That might be an understatement. Overall though, I thought it was a good experience for them and I hope they enjoy giving their gifts to everyone on Christmas.

The new year will bring some new changes for the boys. Kevin and I have decided to enroll the boys at the preschool Montessori program at my school. They are currently in preschool 3 mornings a week at another school that is about a mile away from my school. It's been a great experience for them and they have enjoyed themselves tremendously.

There has been however, one little glitch. There is a "friend" in their class that they seem to be smitten with. Unfortunately that "friend" is the class troublemaker. This little boy has taught them potty jokes and introduced them to the concept of guns. They talk about him all the time and have learned some very unbecoming behavior from him. When they started to tell me about guns (which they didn't even know existed till this little shit told them) I had had enough. I spoke to the teacher about it and she assured me that he was on a behavior plan and she had brought his parents in to talk to them, yada yada yada. Call me overprotective, overbearing, whatever but I just can't sit by and let this "friend" undo all of our hard work. Our boys are wide eyed, life lovin, innocently happy boys. I refuse to let this little troublemaker take that away from them.

Being a teacher myself, I know that every class has some unfortunate kid like this so it's only a matter of time before they cross paths again with a bad influence but for now I have control over the situation and I'm taking the bull by the horns. I didn't tell the preschool that was one of the main factors we were moving the boys, but now I question if I should or not.

The positive side of the situation is that the boys will be at my school with me! I love the school that I work at, I've been able to get to know their teachers and spend quite a bit of time observing the Montessori program. I'd prefer that the boys only attend preschool 3 days a week at this point, but the Montessori program is 5 mornings a week. So that will be an adjustment but they truly seem to love school so I don't foresee the increase being a problem. So starting in January, the boys and I will be in school from 8:30-12 each day right down the hall from each other.

No comments: