Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Twin Etiquette

Blankets from Bryan, Sheri, Cameron and Caleb our wonderful next door neighbors.

Little toys for the twins carseats from Maggie, my co-worker, but more importantly dear friend


Not that I don't love talking or thinking about the twins every minute of the day because I really do, but one question that is absolutely going to drive me to the edge is....."Do twins run in your family?" Now granted not everyone reads this blog, we only passed it on to our nearest and dearest, so not everyone is fully aware of our situation but JEEZUS PEOPLE! Twins aren't always genetic and in our case they definitely weren't but everytime I get asked this I just want to crawl out of my skin. Like Kevin says "It makes me sweat like a whore in church". Generally I just play the dumb card and say things like, "maybe... we're not sure, or I don't think twins always run in families".

You don't know how many times I've envisioned myself wanting to say "No, they don't run in our family but if you see your local reproductive endocronologist they're passing them out like candy." I'll have to try that at least once with a stranger, its evil I know but I'd love to see their reaction. I know its well intentioned but I can't help feeling so frustrated by it because it happens daily and it happens everywhere we go. It seems to have replaced the the other dreaded question I seemed to face daily before gettting pregnant and that was "When do you think you'll have kids?" Oh well, like I said I'll talk about the boys till the cows come home so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Many of you must sense the overwhelming urge I have to want to tell everyone what the boys names will be because you are putting the pressure on me to spill the beans. I won't tell, I won't tell, I won't tell, I won't tell....I just have to keep repeating that to myself. Since I REALLY won't tell here is a list of our names that we like but didn't pick just so you can get a sense of our "naming style." Being responsible for naming another human being is a lot of pressure, you've got to cover all your angles and try to anticipate what names might have dirty, silly, or otherwise bizzare nicknames attached to them. For instance I like the name Peter, but OBVIOUSLY that's out of the question. We also really like the name Isaac, but we named our first dog that we had for a week that, and who wants to be the twin that was named after the family dog. We did consider it for quite some time though banking on the assumption that most people would not remember until I asked my 7 yr. old nephew if he remembered what we named our first dog and he did. So here they are in the order that we liked them...the Edgars that never were or are to be:

1. To be announced sometime in late Dec./ early Jan.
2. To be announced sometime in late Dec./early Jan.
3. Isaac
4. Xander/Zander (not sure how we'd spell it)
5. Xavier
6. Ethan
7. Aiden (moreso a Kevin pick) these two tie
7. Dominic (moreso a me pick)
8. Caden
9. Mason

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering... do twins run in your family?
JENS

Elementary Design said...

They do now.

Anonymous said...

Just a tip for the names, make sure they are BOYS names. We named our son Avery and my biggest pet peeve right now is that most people I meet say "Isn't that a girls name?". It just drives me up a wall! And the really obnoxious people say, "What is his middle name?". Then when I reply with "Dylan" they say "Isn't that a girls name too!" Man, that really frosts me.
-Laura McEwen (Maggie's daughter)
p.s. Mom says you are doing a great job taking care of those little ones - keep up the good work!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.